oOo VnSharing oOo

Go Back   Diễn đàn > VnSharing School > English > Old Damp Treehouse > Letters to Santa Claus >

Đã đóng
Kết quả 1 đến 5 của 5

• Công cụ
  • Hiển thị
  • Xem kiểu ghép

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[Letter to Santa Claus] DreamyFool [08]

BBCode by HETΔLLIES
      Dear Santa Claus,

To: Santa

Dear Santa,

I know I have never believed in you, spending all these years laughing at my sisters and cousins when they write to you. I mean, who would have if someday they saw their friend's parents buying a doll which you had unintentionally torn the hat and sow it back messily (kept as a secret, of course) from your papa's store and then the next morning their friend ran to them, boasting about how Santa had given that exact doll to her. I didn't tell her the truth when I noticed the sewing on the hat, please don't worry, it's just between you and me. So, since I was seven, I stopped believing in writing a letter for an old man in the North Pole asking for gifts every December. But this time, it's really different, I need you to help me. I cannot ask for anyone else, and if you're out there Santa, can I ask for only one favor?

I understand that I haven't been "a good girl" for a long time now. Although being naughty is a part of growing up, I won't deny that I have done something...er...bad, intentionally and unintentionally. I did pay the price for those thing I did, maybe I could be on your nice list this time? I hope that with this address I wrote on the receipient place, this won't go back to my house on the next year, is "North Pole" your place? Or should I be more specific? My sister's letters never get returned, and she still somehow gets all the things she asked for. I guess I will have to place a bet this time.

Santa, can you help me to find a new body? No, it's not like I am sick or that I need something replaced. I'm so sorry I'm a bit straightforward and may confuse you. Here the problem, my body has two personalities. Anyone can see there's something wrong with them when they wake up in bed with another woman, who told they that she is her girlfriend, but they don't remember anything. The thing is that it repeats, almost orderly, every week, on Monday I am me, but on weekends I just go back into the other woman's arms, again with no memories. How frightening is that! The other woman agreed with me too, her name is Malissa, that she may have fallen in love with the other person in me - Rose, she called.

I'm living with her now, because she told me she often finds Rose running barefooted around town, looking for her frantically every weekends but on Monday Rose just disappeared, that left her worried at first but no suspicion until I was the one who woke up on her bed last month. I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates, Malissa often hears Rose complains about her daily life.

Recently I noticed that I have the memories when I was a child, but Rose's childhood is different. Her father is a teacher, while my papa is a toy store owner. And I met her father too, and also my papa, but only one person recognized me, sadly it was the teacher.

I heard from my own papa's mouth that I died last month.

I know what you think, I'm a ghost that had taken Rose's body. Malissa thinks so too, and I have my own suspicion about my identity.

Santa, a priest visited me early this morning, he said he wanted me to take part in a ritual. "So that your soul can rest and return to Jeus's arms.". He said. But I don't believe in him, just like how I didn't believe in you Santa. He just wants me to be away, like Malissa and Rose's family, even my own papa, they all want me dead Santa. It's terrifying when Malissa started bringing crosses home, forced me to read out loud the Bible and took me to church everyday. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to die. No.

No. It should be Rose who must die.

Santa, I heard voices in my ears, telling me I am one of them. They told me that if I give them a sacrifice, they will come and rescue me. One day when I looked out the window, eventhough it was dark outside but I could hear it clearly, a lullaby.

"Little May, come to us.
      We all miss you.
      We have been looking for you all these years.
      Come. Come back to your mothers.
      We are waiting for you."

The next thing I knew I was about to jump out of the window of my three-floored apartment. Luckily Malissa was home and held me back.

Santa, I don't know when you receive this letter I am still alive or not. Maybe they have exorcized me out of this body. Maybe I have given myself to the voices and sacrificed my life. None of which will end up well for me.

Santa, Father, please help me. I don't have much time left. I cannot hide from the church any longer. I cannot stand the increasingly demanding voices any longer. If you are out there, answer me. After sending this letter I will try to runaway, even though they guard me like night owls, I cannot die like this. I will not accept the truth I am a demon from hell like what the priest told Malissa.

If it's you, you will find a way to reach me. Right?

For the first and last time in my life, I need your help, Santa Claus.

From a child in need,
      May

Since Mio’s letter, this one would be the second longest one lol.

Similarly to your other letter [9], the overall grammar is good but you still have sentence fragments or run-on sentences, and this time, you have a lot of them...

I mean, who would have if someday they saw their friend's parents buying a doll which you had unintentionally torn the hat and sow it back messily (kept as a secret, of course) from your papa's store and then the next morning their friend ran to them, boasting about how Santa had given that exact doll to her.
      But this time, it's really different, I need you to help me.
      I hope that with this address I wrote on the receipient place, this won't go back to my house on the next year, is "North Pole" your place?
      I'm living with her now, because she told me she often finds Rose running barefooted around town, looking for her frantically every weekends but on Monday, Rose just disappeared, that left her worried at first but no suspicion until I was the one who woke up on her bed last month.
      I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates, Malissa often hears Rose complains about her daily life.
      The tip for writing well is to write as concise and as clear as possible. Long sentences are fine but they need to be well-structured, or else you’d better try to write simpler sentences. Sometimes breaking down a complex sentence into many orderly simple ones is much better than trying to merge everything into one long-and-not-making-sense sentence.

Besides, there are some typos, errors in use of preposition, punctuations, and choice of linking word. Two noticeable errors that I want to focus on in this letter are the use of comma with “that” and punctuation rules for semicolons in a sentence.

I'm living with her now, because she told me she often finds Rose running barefooted around town, looking for her frantically every weekends but on Monday, Rose just disappeared, that left her worried at first but no suspicion until I was the one who woke up on her bed last month.
      “That” as a pronoun should not stand behind a comma. Even though there’ll be some special cases that you might see in novels or published books, it’s safer for now to stay with the basic. :')

In case that you want to merge two sentences and to avoid run-on, I suggest you can use semicolon, but you might need to be careful about it. [reference: Purdue OWL] Semicolon should be used only when you try to link two independent clauses without connecting words.

Example: It rained heavily during the afternoon; we managed to have our picnic anyway.

OR when you join two independent clauses together with one of the following conjunctive adverbs (adverbs that join independent clauses): however, moreover, therefore, consequently, otherwise, nevertheless, thus, etc.

Example: It rained heavily during the afternoon; however, we managed to have our picnic anyway.

For simple use in my experience, I use semicolon when the second clause can stand independently by itself, but it still can provide some explanation to previous sentence (can be supporting/ contributing). Thus, between letting that clause stand independently and using a semicolon to ‘kind of’ connect the two independent-but-somehow-contributing-to-each-other clauses, choose the best one applicable in your choice.

I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates, Malissa often hears Rose complains about her daily life.
      => I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates ; Malissa often hears Rose complains about her daily life.

Again, to be safe, just seriously let them stand independently or put a linking word in, and you’ll not need be worried about anything. :')

=> I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates since/ for/ as Malissa often hears Rose's complains about her daily life.
      Sửa lần cuối bởi sildi07; 26-11-2016 lúc 23:59.

"It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done."
      - Vincent Van Gogh -

Tham gia ngày
      07-08-2016
      Bài viết
      Cấp độ
      Reps

Dear May,

Such a touching letter. I hope you the best of all. Wish God may always be on your side.

English: 3.5/5
      Content: 4/4
      Creativity: 1/1
      Overall: 8.5/10

Best wishes,
      Pink Santa

Sửa lần cuối bởi Pink Santa; 04-12-2016 lúc 00:22.

Tham gia ngày
      07-08-2016
      Bài viết
      Cấp độ
      Reps
      Wow, how intriguing. I like the story you’ve told for this letter. I’ve only read 8 letters so far, including yours, and you’ve really set yourself apart. You have a lot of run-on sentences, so they make your narrative a bit confusing and hard to follow, but I do get the gist of what has happened and is still happening. I can hear the panic and anxiety in your voice too. And to kick it up a notch, I’d suggest you go with simple language and short, concise sentences, since flowery language waters down the suspense you want your story to have. Very interesting story, nevertheless!

Grammar and mechanics: 3.75/5.
      Content: 4/4.
      Creativity: 0.5/1.
      Total: 8.25/10.

Some possible improvements:
      I mean, who would have if someday they saw their friend's parents buying a doll which you had unintentionally torn the hat and sow it back messily (kept as a secret, of course) from your papa's store and then the next morning their friend ran to them, boasting about how Santa had given that exact doll to her.
      -> some tweaks that would clarify your sentence (great attempt at such a complex sentence!): I mean, who would have if one day they saw their friend’s parents buying a doll whose hat you had unintentionally torn and sewn back messily (and secretly, of course) from your papa’s store and then had their friend run to them the next morning, boasting about how Santa had given that exact same doll to her.
      I did pay the price for those thing I did
      -> things.
      I hope that with this address I wrote on the receipient place, this won't go back to my house on the next year, is "North Pole" your place?
      -> I wrote as the receiver’s address; run-on sentence.
      who told they that she is her girlfriend
      -> there seems to be a major pronoun problem here. I’m confused.
      I'm living with her now, because she told me she often finds Rose running barefooted around town, looking for her frantically every weekends but on Monday Rose just disappeared, that left her worried at first but no suspicion until I was the one who woke up on her bed last month.
      -> this run-on sentence is quite confusing.
      "So that your soul can rest and return to Jeus's arms.". He said.
      -> according to American punctuation, this will be, “So that your soul can rest and return to Jesus’s arms,” he said.
      eventhough it was dark outside but I could hear it clearly
      -> even though it was dark outside I could (still) hear it clearly.
      Santa, I don't know when you receive this letter I am still alive or not.
      -> the order can be a bit confusing. My suggestion: Santa, I don’t know if I am still alive or not when you receive this letter.
      None of which will end up well for me.
      -> end well.
      ----------

Some notes on how I assess letters:
      1. Grammar and mechanics points are given based on what types of mistakes you make (e.g.: simple grammar vs. more complex grammar, basic punctuation vs. trickier punctuation, etc.), not the number of mistakes you make.
      2. I appreciate everything you’ve written, so I will give full points for content for every letter.
      3. But I’m very demanding when it comes to creativity.
      4. Please refer to my comments regarding the quality of your writing. Your grammar and mechanics point does not in any way reflect your capability as a writer, and numbers don’t define you in any way.

Feel free to contact me for any questions you have about my assessments/grammar stuff/anything really.

Tham gia ngày
      07-08-2016
      Bài viết
      Cấp độ
      Reps
      :sob: this is really long...

Dear Santa,

I know I have never believed in you, spending all these years laughing at my sisters and cousins when they write to you. => this sentence has grammatical issue. I'm not professionally trained at Pedagogy University so I can't explain properly to you, but I can assure you using "spending" here like you did is inappropriate. Plus, the two phrases aren't exactly connected; thus, I think you should separate them into two different sentences. And putting "I know" there is quite meaningless, because you're the narrator. Of course everything you state here is true right? "You know I have never believed in you. I have spent all these years... each time they write to you."

I mean, who would have if someday they saw their friend's parents buying a doll which you had unintentionally torn the hat and sow it back messily (kept as a secret, of course) from your papa's store and then the next morning their friend ran to them, boasting about how Santa had given that exact doll to her. => the sentence is too long and too messy, I had to reread it twice to understand what you wanted to say. The sentence itself contains many errors as well. First, the pronouns here are unparalleled. You changed constantly, from they saw to you had and their friend. It's extremely confusing. And what do you mean by "who would have"? If you wanted to talk about your belief, then "have" is redundant. Because at the moment this letter was being written, you still did not believe in Santa. Therefore, it is an If 2 case, which is used to talk about something unreal in the present (would + verb = if 2). "I mean, who would if one day (yeah, not someday, it's one day dear, you can talk a look at the dictionary), your friend came and started bragging about a doll given to her by Santa Claus, which happened to be the exact doll from your papa's store, and was unintentionally damaged and fixed by you yourself (the whole thing was kept a secret, of course [yup, kept it a secret or kept a secret is enough]).

I didn't tell her the truth when I noticed the sewing on the hat, please don't worry, it's just between you and me. => place a "so" before "please don't worry" will make the sentence sound better.

So, since I was seven, I stopped believing in writing a letter for an old man in the North Pole asking for gifts every December. => believing in writing a letter? This sounds really weird, you don't have to prolong your letter you know, we don't need long letter.

I cannot ask for anyone else, and if you're out there Santa, can I ask for only one favor? => Ask anyone else. And one favor only.

I did pay the price for those thing I did, => thing should be in plural form. And "the things" sounds better.

maybe I could be on your nice list this time? => can be, we're talking about the present.

I hope that with this address I wrote on the receipient place, => the address not this address. Recipient, you got the wrong spelling.

this won't go back to my house on the next year, is "North Pole" your place? => Next year is enough. And "Is North Pole your place" is a separate sentence, they are not linked together so please don't just "comma" them.

My sister's letters never get returned, and she still somehow gets all the things she asked for. => the tenses here are unparalleled, you went from present tense (get and gets) and then past (asked). Didn't your sister get what she asked for in the past? And never should go with perfect tense.

Here the problem, => Here is the problem.

Anyone can see there's something wrong with them when they wake up in bed with another woman, who told they that she is her girlfriend, but they don't remember anything. => I lost you right here Ọ_Ọ. And told "them", not "they"

The other woman agreed with me too, her name is Malissa, that she may have fallen in love with the other person in me - Rose, she called. => agrees and she calls (or else you would have to change to she might [might is the past tense of may, the tenses used in one sentence all have to parallel with the others]).

I'm living with her now, because she told me she often finds Rose running barefooted around town, => she told me she often found or she tells me she often finds, same reason above. And running barefootedly.

looking for her frantically every weekends => every weekend.

but on Monday Rose just disappeared, that left her worried at first but no suspicion until I was the one who woke up on her bed last month. => Ohh My Gosh, these run-ons really drive me crazy now.

I thought maybe I was the second personality that was created to deal with the world Rose hates, Malissa often hears Rose complains about her daily life. => use because to link the two clauses together. And unparalleled tenses again.

And I met her father too, and also my papa, but only one person recognized me, sadly it was the teacher. => It feels as if I was in a forest, or shall I say a maze, with no escape. Ọ A Ọ. "And I met her father too, so did my papa. However, sadly, the only person recognizing me was my teacher."

It's terrifying when Malissa started bringing crosses home, forced me to read out loud the Bible and took me to church everyday. => everyday represents what's happening now. Please be careful regarding your choice of tenses. It sounds really really disturbing to have someone tell me "the sun rose from the east everyday.

They told me that if I give them a sacrifice, they will come and rescue me. => told belongs to the past, so you should change all verbs here accordingly.

One day when I looked out the window, eventhough it was dark outside but I could hear it clearly, a lullaby. => even though.

Maybe they have exorcized me out of this body. => Exocised.

Maybe I have given myself to the voices and sacrificed my life. => I understand "sacrificed" here is under the affect of "have", but still, you must add have sacrificed to clarify.
      To be honest, I don't find this letter interesting or different at all. To me, this is just a clumsy fiction from someone who was trying hard to seriousify the problem. I saw you used many different adjectives to describe your feelings, I must compliment you for this, because thanks to them, you have successfully capture the attention of most readers. But still, the problem that I found with fiction just like yours is lack of personality. There is no personality or originality in this work at all. You changed, from an innocent girl, to a cruel person who was ready to sacrifice others for the sake of yourself. However, there was no connection in between. The transition was not clear. It sounds pretty soulless you know.

Secondly, you are trying to complicate your letter by advanced structures, but I must say, you failed in this case. Some sentences were complex enough to get a bravo from me, sadly, some of them just fell short. And one huge problem with this letter is the tense, or should I say unparalleled tenses. You can't go from past to perfect to present however you like it, you know.

That being said, it does not mean this letter is bad. Honestly speaking, it has its own charm and captivating moments. However, I couldn't see the real "you" here. I'm sorry but this letter is quite soulless to me. Adding a little more "feelings" into this one, and this beautiful letter will successfully capture my heart. Good luck <3.

---------
      Here come the scores:
      English: 4.25/5 (Because you have given me such a long letter, with quite few mistakes, except for the run-on ones and tenses, therefore you really deserve this score. Good job)
      Content: 3/4 (I know, you did deliver a fairly good piece of work but I was just looking for something down to earth, something that reflects you... But it is not here. My apologies)
      Creativity: 0.75/1
      Overall: 8/10
      Sửa lần cuối bởi White Santa; 14-12-2016 lúc 16:26.

Đánh dấu

Quyền viết bài

• Bạn không thể đăng chủ đề mới
    • Bạn không thể gửi trả lời
    • Bạn không thể gửi đính kèm
    • Bạn không thể sửa bài
    •  

Theo giờ GMT +7. Bây giờ là 16:07.